About the Recipe
1 1/2 cup dry green lentils
6 cups water
1 tbsp high-heat safflower oil (or canola)
1/2 onion ; finely chopped
1/4 tsp garlic ; minced
1/2 tbsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 dash cayenne pepper
2 Haas avocados ; chopped
3 Plum tomatoes ; diced
1/2 lemon ; juiced
1/2 tsp parsley ; minced
1 dash sea salt
1. In a bowl mix together all garnish ingredients and set aside while preparing the lentil soup.
2. Sift through lentils and rinse well in a colander making sure to remove any tiny stones that may be mixed in.
3. In a saucepan, heat safflower oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and a dash of salt. Stir occasionally until onion becomes translucent.
4. Add remaining soup ingredients and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for about 45 minutes.
6. Stir occasionally to avoid the soup burning or sticking to the pot.
7. Once lentils are soft and tender and desired consistency is reached, serve and garnish.